The benefits of 29ers are now well established:
- Bigger wheels roll over bumps easier
- Bigger wheels hold their momentum better
- Bigger wheels have a larger contact patch with the ground, meaning increased traction for corning and climbing
The drawbacks with early 29ers are now mostly remedied:
- slow steering improved through geometry enhancements
- taller gearing remedied with new hubs and cassettes
- greater wheel and tyre choices mean the wheels aren't as heavy and therefore accelerate just about as well as 26” wheels
- shorter riders are accommodated with smart geometry
Read and hear more from Gary Fisher himself, one of the most famous 29er pioneers, at his website.
If you're curious then ask about our Gary Fisher Mamba demo bike! Or talk to Phil, he now has two Gary Fisher 29ers and he and his wife Linda ride a Jeffson custom 29er tandem.
We have 5 models in stock, or coming soon, and several available:
Gary Fisher Mamba 24-speed hard tail
Gary Fisher Rig single speed
Spot Longboard Belt Drive Single Speed
Giant XTC29-1 hard tail
Gary Fisher Paragon SRAM X.9 hard tail
Gary Fisher HiFi Plus Fox 100mm dual suspension
Gary Fisher Super Fly – 3 models: 27-speed hard tail, single speed frameset, 100mm dual suspension
Jeffson custom Reynolds steel hard tail, hand made in NZ at Kiwi Bikes in Rotorua. We use our Fit Kit bike fit system to determine the perfect geometry for you.